Contribute to Sub-Saharan Africa’s development through higher education abroad
Ashinaga is a Japan-based non-profit organization, which provides educational and emotional support to orphaned students. The organization has supported over 100,000 orphans in the last 54 years, and many of its graduates are actively contributing to society in a variety of fields across the world.
The Ashinaga Africa Initiative began in 2014. Its mission is to contribute to Sub-Saharan Africa’s expanding role in global development through increasing access to higher education abroad. We support orphaned students who are committed to returning home and initiating change by providing access to full financial support to study at university abroad (equivalent to undergraduate degree), including tuition, room, travel cost and other necessary fees.
The application is open to those who:
- Have lost one or both parents.
- Have completed secondary school and passed national secondary school examination (technical and vocational degrees not accepted) within the last two years (any date after 1st September 2017, including all of 2018 and 2019) or will have completed secondary school and received final exam results before February 28th, 2020.
- Have citizenship and have completed/are completing secondary school in one of the following countries: Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, CAR, Cameroon, Chad, Comoros, Côte d’Ivoire, Djibouti, DRC, Ethiopia, Eritrea, Gabon, Ghana, Guinea Conakry, Kenya, Kingdom of eSwatini, Lesotho, Liberia, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Mauritius, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Republic of Congo, Rwanda, Sénégal, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Africa, South Sudan, Seychelles, Tanzania, The Gambia, Togo, Uganda, Zambia and Zimbabwe.
- Were born after 1st September 1997.
- Do not have the means to attend university until graduation without external financial support.
- Are proficient in English or French.
- Are regularly ranked in the top 10% of their class during their last 2 or 3 years of secondary school.
- Are able to participate in the two Ashinaga preparatory programs, over the course of one year, before attending university.
- Are committed to return home, or to Sub-Saharan Africa, and contribute to society in Sub-Saharan Africa after graduating from university.
- Have no dependents who could interfere with academic progress.
- Have a good enough health condition to be able to study abroad.
Required Documents for the Application
This is a list of the documents you will need to submit as part of your application. Applications will open in September 2019 so you should start collecting these documents as soon as possible.
- Copy of national ID card or passport.
- Copy of term reports / high school transcripts (the last 2 years).
- Copy of final Secondary School Examination Certificate
- Copy of academic transcripts or diplomas from university/post-secondary institution, if applicable.
- Copy of death certificate of deceased parent(s), including the deceased parent’s name, or alternative official documentation proving death of parent(s) or orphan status.
- Copy of birth certificate of applicant.
PLEASE NOTE: All documents must be submitted in English. If it is not in English, candidates must have the documents translated. Use Gregorian (Western) calendar to fill in the application.
For more information and to register, click here.