The DAAD (German Academic Exchange Service) is a publicly funded, self-governing organisation of the
institutions of higher education in Germany. It promotes international academic exchange as well as educational cooperation with developing countries through a variety of funding programmes. Within the framework of the Network of Excellence on Land Governance in Africa (NELGA), the DAAD implements a comprehensive scholarship
The research fellowship programme aims to support junior researchers in conducting a specific research project at a
NELGA partner institution and encourage them to pursue successful scientific careers. Through the programme,
research fellows contribute to the development of African scientific collaboration and promote academic excellence in the field of land governance.
Applicants must have a background in land governance / land management or a related field, including land
administration and management, land economics, natural resource economics, environmental economics,
development economics, real estate development and management, environmental law, development studies,
urban and regional planning, urban development and management, geomatics (GIS & Surveying), geography,
natural resource management, agriculture economics and other land related fields with strong relevance to land and
The fellowship can be granted for field research conducted in any NELGA partner university or research institute. It
covers a research period from one month to a maximum of three months, depending on the project in question and the applicant’s work schedule. The grant is non-renewable. The fellowship does not provide financial support to research at the applicant’s host institution.
• have completed at least a first university degree (undergraduate) at a state or state-recognised
institution of higher education;
• be enrolled or a staff member at one of the NELGA partner universities or associated institutions;
• return to their studies / duty station at the end of the fellowship;
• be nationals of an African country;
• be granted leave of absence by their home institution for conducting a field study.
Female applicants and candidates from less privileged regions or groups are especially encouraged to participate
in the programme.
Grant, terms and conditions
The fellowship consists of:
• A flat-rate travel allowance: EUR 280.- for in-country, EUR 430.- for neighbouring countries, EUR 630.- for inregion, EUR 980.- for out of region;
• A monthly research/study allowance of EUR 460.-The fellowship does not cover living expenses. It can only be
awarded once per year. The funds will be transferred to the German Embassy, the institution in the host country or the fellowship holder’s personal bank account. At the end of the fellowship the fellow must provide a detailed report on the implementation of the field study and its findings.
The most important selection criteria are:
• A convincing and well-planned research project;
• Academic achievements.
Any additional documents supporting the academic relevance of the research proposal or providing information. about pertinent extracurricular activities of the applicant will also be considered in the assessment.
Applicants are required to:
1. register online via the DAAD-Portal (if not already registered): https://portal.daad.de/
2. apply online under the following link: https://portal.daad.de/sap/bc/bsp/sap/z_set_cookie/
For technical questions regarding the DAAD-Portal, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Documents to be submitted:
• Curriculum Vitae (please use the Europass format available at https://europass.cedefop.europa.eu),
including list of publications (if applicable);
• Detailed description of the research proposal and a description of previous research work (max. 10 pages);
• Schedule of planned research work;
• Letter confirming supervision by an academic adviser at the host institute, which refers to the applicant’s
proposal and confirms that the host institute will provide a workplace (not applicable for studies in the
• Copy of university diplomas / certificates and transcripts of record of all annual academic examinations (incl. explanation of grading system);
• One recent reference from a university teacher which provides information about the applicant qualifications.
For consultation with DAAD, please contact
Ms Jana Bömer, email@example.com
Ms Luisa Prior, firstname.lastname@example.org