Deadline: 31 December 2018
The French Institute of South Africa-Research (IFAS-Research) has a regional mandate covering twelve countries in Southern Africa (South Africa, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Malawi, Angola, Congo, Democratic Republic of Congo, Lesotho, Swaziland, Botswana and Namibia). IFAS-Research promotes and supports research projects in the Humanities and Social Sciences dealing with this area.
Within the framework of its research programming, IFAS-Research funds each year a number of research projects: collective projects, fieldworks, scientific events, publications.
All funding applications from research units and researchers must imperatively reach us before the 31st of December 2018.
Nationality will not be a condition for application, although the existence or prospect of a long-lasting partnership between France and Southern Africa is essential, particularly actual bilateral projects. Applications outside this frame will not be studied.
Financial contribution from another institution is highly desirable. In all cases, funds allocated by IFAS-Research will be between EUR. 500 – 2 000 according to the project (maximum EUR. 1000 for individual fieldwork).
All applications will be taken into consideration. However, priority will be given to those of the Institute:
- Archeology and Prehistory
- Heritage and Medieval, Early Modern and Contemporary History of Southern African Societies
- Contemporary Dynamics: Urban Studies, Democratic and Economic Transformations
A specific interest will be shown to transregional projects, projects that challenge epistemological borders and
proposals dealing with Lusophone Africa. Nevertheless, scientific excellence will remain the main criteria of
List of documents to enclose in the application:
- A short introduction letter from the applicant;
- A detailed description of the research project not exceeding 5 pages and containing the scientific project, a research agenda, institutional partnerships, indications regarding the dissemination of results – please note that the existence or prospect of a partnership between France and Southern Africa is necessary;
- A provisional budget indicating the amount of total funding, other sources of funding applied for and obtained, funding required from IFAS-Research (nature of expenses);
- A CV of the candidate (2 pages maximum);
- A reference letter from the research supervisor (for students);
- The application form filled in electronically.
Selection process of applications:
Please, send the application by email with a single .pdf document attached, containing all the enclosures (including the form and the reference letter) to Thomas Vernet-Habasque, IFAS-Research Director at firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline for applications: December 31st 2018
For more information, please visit the official website here.