Deadline : 8 December, 2018
China has arrived. The stories of China’s arrival have been told through its politics, economics, and society. Wǒmen: Retelling the China Stories aims to identify key components of the global “China stories” and interpret them through a gendered lens.
- The objective of this conference is to incorporate a gender nuance into the larger discourse on China. To this end, gender-related perspectives are the unifying thread through which we explore contemporary China’s most important issues.
Wǒmen: Retelling the China Stories moves Yenching Global Symposium forward in its vision of fostering the next generation of thought leadership on China through the symposium’s agenda-setting role.
The conceptual progression of 2019’s Yenching Global Symposium will be categorized into disciplinary sub-themes that narrate the China story:
ECONOMICS & DEVELOPMENT
This sub-theme will explore correspondences between gender and material resource distribution, and how this perpetuates gender-related phenomena across other levels of Chinese and international society.
POLITICS & LAW
This sub-theme will explore interactions among gender, legal dynamics, and political structures. Further, it attempts to understand how gender is considered and represented in making and assessing China’s policies across the local, domestic, and international arenas.
SOCIETY & CULTURE
This sub-theme will explore ways in which gender is represented in China’s art, culture, and public sphere. Lastly, it will move beyond the Chinese context to view the implications of such gender-society linkages for a global society.
With the world at a crossroads and China’s undeniably prominent role in it, the 2019 Yenching Global Symposium seeks to explore contemporary changes in China with gender at its nexus.
Held on Peking University’s historic campus in Beijing, this three-day, fully-funded event invites prominent Chinese and international scholars with a noted passion for China in their work and research, along with leading professionals from a wide range of fields. In a rapidly shifting global arena, the 2019 Symposium, “Wǒmen: Retelling the China Stories,” re-explores China’s multi-faceted revival through a gendered lens.
Wǒmen: Retelling the China Stories will take place March 29th – 31st, 2019, and will feature keynote speakers, panels of academics and practitioners, interactive activities, site visits, and cultural immersion programming.
Eligible delegates will receive free round-trip travel to and from Beijing, along with accommodation and meals for the length of the conference.
– Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in any field;
– Strong interest in learning about China and engaging in nuanced, interdisciplinary discussions which address critical societal issues relating to China;
– Leadership potential;
– English proficiency;
– Hold a valid passport (does not expire within 6 months of visa application date- January/February 2019);
– Have never attended any of the previous Yenching Global Symposiums or Yenching Social Innovation Forums;
– Bonus: Involvement in China-related activities- academic, voluntary, professional, extra-curricular activities.
Application deadline is 8 December, 2018
For more information and to apply, click here.