Deadline for application: 8 October 2018
Today’s complex policy challenges, the super-abundance of data and information, scientific controversies and post-fact politics make strengthening the science-policy interface crucial for good governance.
Robust and relevant scientific evidence can make public policies transparent, consistent and effective.Connecting scientific evidence and policy is not straightforward.It calls for new collaborations, institutions, knowledge brokers and practices.
It also needs a new set of skills and competences for those working at the intersection between the worlds of science and of policy. Water, energy, food security and health remain in the scientific and policy making spotlight in Africa.
The Evidence Informed Policy Making (EIPM) seminar will train participants to use evidence for policy making by focusing on challenges and interrelations of those fields
What is unique about the professional development training?
- Together, policymakers and scientists develop skills in using evidence to devise policy solutions and inform policy making.
- Participants will learn how their respective counterpart’s professional worlds operate.
- Leading thinkers and practitioners share their experience with participants.
Participants completing the seminar will receive a certificate signed by the organising partners.
What will you gain?
- Learn how to better communicate and visualise research results;
- To address policy needs;
- How to target relevant policy makers;
- Understand the policy cycle, and;
- Influence the policy making process.
Policymakers will learn how to
- Use research to support policy;
- Which scientific evidence is relevant to their field;
- Where to find it and how to interpret it, and;
- How to communicate with researchers.
- Gain new insights on how ‘the other side’ operates;
- Become part of the professional network of scientific researchers and policy makers
- Be part of building the African evidence informed policymaking community, and;
- Learn from and access to a global community of practice in evidence based policy making.
African early to mid-career policymakers and scientists with the following characteristics:
- Interested in how to use scientific research and evidence to inform policymaking;
- With at least 2 years of work experience within the themes of water, energy, food security or health;
- Having an active interest in interdisciplinary working to solve global problems;
- Working in Africa or on Africa related issues with African partners;
- Being proficient in English, and;
- Commit to take part the whole duration of the seminar.
Please note that in addition up to 20 places are available to policy makers and researchers coming from non-African countries.
Accommodation, transfers, catering and travel costs to South Africa (via an agency selected by the organisers) is offered for
- 130 participants from Africa,
- 10 UKRI Global Challenges Research Fund grant holders, and
- 10 participants from EU countries.
The selection process strives to achieve a balanced representation of qualified candidates, including
- By gender and country;
- Balanced representation of both policy makers and scientists;
- Evaluating past experiences, and;
- Motivation of the applicants
Please apply online outlining your motivation and why you think this training will help you in your current job.
For any questions about the event, please contact: JRC-EIPM-AFRICA@ec.europa.eu
Visit webpage for more here