Deadline: 10 May, 2020
The Centre for Housing and Sustainable Development (chsunilag.com) at the University of Lagos was established in 2013 to provide learning and research support for evidence-based policy and practice for the housing sector in Africa. It is the ARUA Centre for Excellence in Urbanization and
Habitable cities, thus coordinating multidisciplinary research activities and capacity building across various urbanization and built environment thematic areas.
The CoE, in partnership with the Universities of Addis Ababa (Ethiopia), Makerere (Uganda) and Sheffield (UK) recently won a grant from ARUA-GCRF Research Excellence Call. The three-year research project, Migration, Urbanisation, and Conflict in Africa (MUCA), examines the interlinkages between the three key processes in nine African cities.
The CoE thus is interested in recruiting a Post-Doctoral Researcher for the research project.
The Post-Doctoral Researcher will be actively engaged in the fieldwork, analysis, and writing in the research project.
Tasks and Deliverables
· Closely work with the Co-Is based in Nigeria and team members from other countries to
achieve the key objectives of the research project;
· Contribute to the overall publication strategy and dissemination of results of the project;
· Collect and systematically review the available literature on related themes;
· Plan and conduct fieldwork primarily in Lagos, Jos, and Lokoja-Obajana and other
locations as required;
· Produce research reports, policy briefs, and at least one article in a leading journal, one
book chapter and other research products;
· Draw policy lessons based on the research and use the same for training sessions and for writing policy briefs;
· Closely work with relevant actors to smoothly conduct the research, as well as to
promote uptake of the findings of the research;
· Undertake other activities as required.
Required Qualification and Experience
· Minimum of a PhD degree in urban studies, development Studies, Political Science,
Peace and Security Studies or related fields received no earlier than 2014.
· Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of post-conflict societies and migration, urbanization and conflict dynamics in African cities;
· Experience in engaging with policy/civil society stakeholders
· Excellent fieldwork and publication experience;
· Confident use of IT systems and packages, including Microsoft Office (Excel, Word,
· Ability to work flexible hours as required for the study
· Fluent in written and spoken English
The value of the position is = N= 3,125,980.00 – =N= 4, 307,29.00 per year, which will be extended up to twenty-four months based on satisfactory performance. The position does not include relocation costs or fringe benefits.
The incumbent will be provided with a desk and appropriate access rights to use the research
facilities of the Centre for Housing and Sustainable Development, University of Lagos.
How to Apply
Interested applicants should submit:
a. A letter of motivation stating areas of expertise, research interests and experience. Please include here information on why you are qualified for this position.
b. Recent writing sample to the email address: firstname.lastname@example.org till the May10, 2020.
c. Full Curriculum Vitae (CV) including names, email addresses, and telephone numbers of 3 referees
d. One-page condensed CV
An application which does not comply with the above requirements will be regarded as
incomplete. Late applications will not be considered. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interview.
Informal inquiries to the Co-I Dr Taibat Lawanson at email@example.com; +234 (0)802 351 9666
Closing date: May 10, 2020 at 11.59pm
The starting date for position is June 1, 2020