Deadline for sending applications is 9 March 2020
The Academy of Sciences Malaysia (ASM), and The World Academy of Sciences (TWAS), are seeking candidates to participate in the regional training workshop on science diplomacy which will be held in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, from 20 to 24 July 2020. The Regional Workshop will be the first science diplomacy workshop to be held in the Asia and the Pacific Region. This workshop will provide participants an insight into key contemporary international and regional science policy issues including global health, future studies, disaster risk reduction, and water management, among others, while intimating how science, technology, and innovation contribute to policy developments, global governance and sustainable development of communities around the world. Another focus of the workshop is to gain a better understanding of, and appreciation for, the roles that governments, academia, international organisations and the private sector play in addressing complex science-based issues and how different governance structures are developed to address the needs and involvement of these different stakeholders. Finally, the workshop will take stock of science diplomacy case studies and experiences in the various forms that they take in the region and build strong networks to foster the next generation of science diplomats in the region. This workshop will encourage active interaction among participants, speakers and facilitators as they develop ideas and strategies to enhance science diplomacy in the region.
The workshop is designed for young scientists (below the age of 40) living and working in developing countries whose research and wider engagement has brought them into the international policy-making arena, as well as policymakers and diplomats interested in some of the central science-based themes that might influence their work, and representatives from NGOs and other sectors working at the science-diplomacy interface. Alumni will join a global network of young leaders and innovators reaching across borders to address societal challenges and become agents of change in their countries and sectors.
APPLICATION AND SELECTION PROCESS
- The completed application should be submitted via the online system accessible on here
- Application are invited from:
- Early-career scientists (generally below the age of 40)
- Policymakers and diplomats (no age limit)
- Representatives from NGOs, industry, and other sectors working at the science-diplomacy nexus
- A small number of fully self-funded participants from partner organisations will be considered on a case-by-case basis
- Economy class flights, local transport and accommodation in Kuala Lumpur will be covered for selected participants. and visa expenses will be provided to the selected participants.
- A limited number of spaces for self-funded candidates and partially-funded candidates (flight or accommodation only) will also be available
- Applicants from the Science & Technology Lagging Countries (STLCs) and within this group Least Developed Countries (LDCs) are especially encouraged to apply.
These countries include: Afghanistan, Angola, Bangladesh, Benin, Bhutan, Bolivia, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cambodia, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Congo, Côte d’Ivoire, Democratic Republic of Congo, Djibouti, El Salvador, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Equatorial Guinea, Gambia, Ghana, Guatemala, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Haiti, Honduras, Kenya, Kiribati, Lao People’s Dem. Rep., Lesotho, Liberia, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Mongolia, Mozambique, Myanmar, Nepal, Nicaragua, Niger, Palestine (West Bank and Gaza Strip), Paraguay, Rwanda, Sao Tome and Principe, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Solomon Islands, Somalia, South Sudan, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Swaziland, Syria, Tajikistan, Tanzania, Timor Leste, Togo, Tuvalu, Uganda, Vanuatu, Yemen, Zambia, and Zimbabwe.
- Women are especially encouraged to apply.
- An expert committee will review the applications received.
- Successful candidates will be informed by mid April 2020.
- For more information on the science and diplomacy programme, please email email@example.com
Visit webpage for more information here