Deadlne January 31st 2020
The University of Ghana has received a grant from the Gerda Henkel Foundation of Germany to
support the training of PhD students in the Humanities under a project titled Enhancing Doctoral
Training in the Humanities in West Africa. Under the project, the University of Ghana will be the
sub-regional hub for the training of PhD scholars in the historical humanities (History,
Archaeology, Historical Islamic Studies, Art History, Philosophy, History of Law, History of
Science, Prehistory and Early History, Classics and other disciplines with historical component).
The project will fund the tuition, accommodation, research, stipend and airfare of international
students starting from 2020/2021 academic year.
Eligibility – PhD
• Applicant must have successfully completed a Master’s degree in any of the disciplines
listed above, or in a related field.
• Should have excellent academic credentials and demonstrate motivation and commitment
to pursue an academic career.
• Has thorough knowledge of the language of instruction (English)
• Applicant must be a national or permanent resident of o n e o f t h e f o l l o w i n g
West African countries: Ghana, Nigeria, Sierra Leone, Burkina Faso and Senegal.
Documents to be submitted to Project:
• Graduate and Undergraduate Certificates
• Graduate and Undergraduate Transcripts
• One-page motivation statement
• PhD research proposal of not more than 3 pages (of 1.5 line spaced minimum)
clearly outlining the background, objectives, scope and methodology for applicant’s
• Applicant’s curriculum vitae
• Copy of applicant’s passport or national ID card
Completed application forms with copies of required documents should be sent to:
The Provost’s Office
College of Humanities
University of Ghana
P.O Box LG 1173, Legon
Phone: (+233) (0)307080635
Office location: International House, Annie Jiagge Road, Legon Campus, University of Ghana
Applicants should take note of the following dates:
1. Candidates should apply using the application form (attached) by January 31th 2020
2. Shortlisted candidates will be notified by March 31st 2020
3. D e t a i l s o f shortlisted candidates will be submitted to the Gerda Henkel Foundation in Germany by April 11t h 2020
4. Scholarship awardees to receive notification by April/May 2020
5. All shortlisted candidates are to apply to the University of Ghana for admissions when
Please check the University of Ghana website for more information here
Visit webpage for more information here