Deadline – January 31st 2020
Oxford University’s African Studies Centre is one of the world’s leading centres of African Studies. With particular strengths in the Social Sciences and the Humanities, the Centre enjoys a reputation for high quality, relevant research that plays a leading role in academic debates as well as public policy. Read more about the African studies Center here.
The AfOx ASC fellowships will allow academics in the Social Sciences and Humanities from African universities and research institutes to spend time in Oxford for writing a journal article or book chapter with a measure of guidance by a member of the Centre.
This is a writing fellowship that provides opportunities for Africa-based scholars to spend time away from teaching and other obligations with the benefit of using the vast resources available in Oxford University for research, writing, mentoring and/or collaboration with an Oxford-based scholar.
The fellows are expected to make a presentation of the draft work during or at the end of the fellowship at a ‘writing workshop’ where Oxford-based scholars will provide critical feedback for publication.
The fellowship is for up to 8 weeks and applications are encouraged from candidates in every region of Africa.
An applicant for the AfOx-ASC Visiting Fellowship must fulfill the following criteria:
- Applicants are expected to hold a PhD or research equivalent.
- Legal resident of an African country holding an appointment in an African academic or research institution.
- Have published at least any two of the following: a book, book chapters or journal articles in internationally-reputable outlets.
- Applicants are required to have two academic references detailing specific contributions of the applicant to particular fields of study, and how a writing fellowship will support career progression.
- The application includes submitting a research proposal that clearly outlines the organising theme of the proposed work to be undertaken during the fellowship and how the period of the fellowship will lead to the completion of the specific (part of the) project.
Visit webpage for more information here