The Intra-Africa Academic Mobility Scheme supports higher education cooperation between countries in Africa. The scheme aims to promote sustainable development and ultimately contribute to poverty reduction by increasing the availability of trained and qualified high-level professional manpower in Africa.
The programme’s objective is to improve the skills and competences of students and staff through enhanced mobility between African countries. Strengthening cooperation between Higher Education Institutions (HEIs) in Africa will increase access to quality education and will encourage and enable African students to undertake postgraduate studies in the African continent. Furthermore, mobility of staff (academic and administrative) will enhance the international cooperation capacity of HEIs in Africa.
The partners in ACADEMY consortium are:
Université de Tlemcen (Coordinator), Algeria
University of Cape Coast (Partner), Ghana
Kenyatta University (Partner), Kenya
University of Ibadan (Partner), Nigeria
University of KwaZulu-Natal (Partner), South Africa.
Universidade do Porto (TechnicalPartner), Portugal
Ministère de l’Enseignement Supérieur et de la Recherche Scientifique (Associate
Pan African University for Water and Energy Sciences (Associate Partner), Algeria.
Applicants for all types of scholarships must:
Be nationals and residents in any of the eligible African countries.
Have sufficient knowledge of the language of instruction of courses in the host country.
Fulfill the criteria of one of the target groups below:
– The Consortium only supports applications in the chosen thematic fields.
– Applicants cannot apply for funding that does not support cross border mobility (The organisation of mobility activities can be undertaken only at eligible African
partner Higher Education Institutions in a different country than the one of nationality and residence.
– Students having previously benefitted from a scholarship under the Intra-ACP or the Intra-Africa Academic Mobility Schemes are NOT eligible.
1. Target Groups
There are two Target Groups for the individual mobility flows for students and academic and administrative staff, defined by the European Commission in the framework of the Intra Africa Mobility Scheme.
a. Target Group 1 (TG1)
For credit-seeking mobility applicants: Students must be registered in one of the five partner universities: Université de Tlemcen (Algeria), University of Cape Coast (Ghana), Kenyatta University (Kenya), University of Ibadan (Nigeria), and University of KwaZuluNatal (South Africa).
For degree-seeking applicants: Students must have graduated from one of the five partner universities.
For staff: Staff must be working in one of the five partner universities.
b. Target Group 2 (TG2)
For credit-seeking mobility applicants: Students must be registered in a Higher Education Institution from an eligible African country.
For degree-seeking mobility applicants: Students must have graduated from any eligible African Higher Education Institution.
CATEGORIES OF SCHOLARSHIP
The ACADEMY project is a student and staff mobility programme, intended to ensure an increase in Masters and PhD African graduates, in the selected academic fields.by providing funded academic opportunities to qualified applicants, and to support both academic and administrative staff mobility. The following scholarship categories are available:
1. Credit-seeking scholarships (for Masters and PHD students) Students who are registered for full-degree studies at their home institution will be able to apply
to spend a study period (6 or 10 months) at one of the partner institutions in the consortium and return to their home institution after the exchange period to complete their degree at the home institution.
The home higher education institution of the ACADEMY scholarship holder will guarantee the full academic recognition (including exams and other forms of evaluation) of the study/research period undertaken at the ACADEMY Consortium partner.
2. Degree-seeking scholarships (for Masters and PhD students) Students will be able to apply for full degree scholarship (20 months for Master and 36 months
for PhD)for completion of a Masters or PhD degree at one of the partner African Higher Education Institutions in the Consortium.
3. Academic and administrative staff scholarships Staff employed at a partner African Higher Education Institution of the Consortium will be able to
apply for short term mobility opportunities (1, 2 or 3 months) which could include benchmarking exercises, sabbatical research periods, guest lecturing, curriculum development, knowledge and resource sharing trips etc.
The Scholarship covers:
Monthly subsistence allowance for the entire mobility period
Extra allowance per academic year to female students (for mobility equal to or longer than two academic years)
Settling in allowance (for students only)
Roundtrip flight ticket and visa costs – for mobility equal to or longer than two academic years, two roundtrip tickets will be provided (arranged by the coordinating institution on behalf of students)
Comprehensive insurance (Health, Accident and Travel) (arranged by the coordinating institution on behalf of students)
Participation costs such as tuition fees, registration fees and service fees where applicable (paid directly to the hosting institutions)
Research costs for students on mobility for 10 months or more (based on actual research needs and dependent on a request submitted by the students).
The partners in ACADEMY consortium are:
Université de Tlemcen (UT), Algeria
University of Cape Coast (UCC), Ghana
Kenyatta University (KU), Kenya
University of Ibadan (UI), Nigeria
University of KwaZulu-Natal (UKZN), South Africa.
FIELDS OF STUDY
The eligible fields of study for the ACADEMY project are:
Business, administration and law,
Information and Communication Technologies,
Engineering, manufacturing and construction,
Agriculture, forestry, fisheries and veterinary.
To fill in the Application Form, the following steps must be considered:
1. The applicants should have a valid e-mail address and an internet connection.
2. As a way to access the form, the applicants should create a new login in the “Apply”
section, selecting the type of scholarship they want to apply to (ex: Master mobility). Only online applications are considered eligible.
3. The form will open with a set of questions regarding:
General eligibility criteria;
Identification of target group;
4. The applicants must answer truthfully to all questions so as to ensure the fulfilment to all general eligibility criteria. In case one eligibility criteria is not fulfilled, the system will immediately inform the applicant through the following message: “Please verify the eligibility criteria.”
5. The applicants should then fill in the online Application Form available on the project’s website. The system will save a draft of the application every time the “Save” button is pressed, allowing it to be revised, edited and completed.
Visit webpage for more information here