Deadline- April 13 2019
In 2017 and 2018 alone, populations around the world were exposed to heatwaves (in Japan and the United Kingdom, for example), severe flooding (in China, France and India), wildfires (in Greece, Sweden and the USA) and tropical storms (in Japan, the Philippines and the USA).
Climate change impacts health both directly and indirectly. Some of the health impacts associated with the climate crisis include respiratory diseases, vector-borne diseases, heat strokes, mental illness and others, as mentioned in the latest report on Health & Climate Change launched by the World Health Organization during COP24.
This year, in partnership with the World Health Organization, Climate Tracker is launching an exciting photography competition to highlight the impacts of climate change on human health.
- 8 winners will be selected to produce a photostory (30 – 35 photographs) about the impacts of climate change on health.
- After completing the photoshoots, the 8 winners will receive a 200 USD cash prize.
- These photostories will be featured in an eBook that highlights the work of the photographers.
- Following the 8 photostories, 1 winner will receive a fully-funded fellowship to attend the COP25 in Chile on December 2019 with the with Climate Tracker team
- Launching of the competition: March 17
- Deadline to submit your application: April 13
- Announcement of 8 winners: April 17
- pPhotoshoots: April 24 – May 5
Are you passionate about photography and climate change? Show us what you got. To apply to the competition, you will have to complete your application through their platform which should include:
- A photograph or a photo story (up to 10 photos) that shows the challenges and/or the solution to issues related to health and climate change. By completing this submission, you confirm you are the author of the submitted pictures and have the rights to these pictures, and you agree that your pictures can be shared and used on various social media platforms and websites. Your pictures will receive this CC copyright and will be accredited ©WHO/Your Name.
- A 200-word paragraph with the idea for the photostory you will create if you are among the 8 winners. You can choose one of the main 5 themes related to health and climate change:
Air Pollution: you could show the pollution from public transportation in a cosmopolitan city, for example.
– Vector-borne diseases: diseases such as malaria, dengue, etc., which affect populations around the world.
– Climate change-induced disasters: how are the communities being affected by these climate-induced disasters? What type of adaptation measures have they started?
– Food security: you could take a look at issues related to malnutrition, agricultural practices, and others.
– Migration: you can show how movements of populations due to environmental issues are also exposed to diseases.
Submit your application here
Visit Climate tracker for more information here