Application deadline: 15 March 2019
The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) received a three-year research grant for “Enhancing Capacity to Apply Research Evidence (CARE) in policy for youth engagement in agribusiness and rural economic activities in Africa” funded by the International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD).
IITA is pleased to announce 30 research fellowships for 2019 under the framework of the CARE project. The fellowships are action-oriented and target young academics and professionals, and graduate students at the post-course work/research stage of their programs. The felowship program seeks to contribute to policy development on youth engagement in agribusiness and rural economic activities in Africa.
▪ Applicants must be young Africans.
▪ The research will be carried out in the following countries: Benin, Cameroon, Democratic Republic of
Congo, Malawi, Morocco, Nigeria, Rwanda, Tanzania, Senegal, and Zambia.
▪ Applicants must not be more than 40 years old at the time of application.
▪ Applicants must be young scholars at a research institute or university in Africa or a student registered
in a PhD or Master’s program in recognized universities in Africa, majoring in agricultural economics,
agribusiness, or economics or a related social science field, and must have finished their university
▪ The duration of the research should not exceed 6 months.
▪ Awards for Research Grants are up to $10,000 (Proposals with a reasonable higher budget can also be
selected depending on the quality of the research proposal).
▪ Grantees will be supervised by IITA’s socio-economics scientists in close collaboration with their
▪ Grantees will be offered training on research methodology, data management, and scientific writing.
▪ Grantees will be offered training on production of research evidence for policy-making.
Guidelines for research proposals
Research proposals should be organized in the order listed below, and page limitations for components must
The Research proposal must include the following components in one PDF document.
1. The proposal narrative should not be more than seven pages in length, single-spaced, in 12-point type
with 1″ margins. Approximately three pages should be devoted to the problem statement/policy issue,
theoretical framework, review of current literature, and research questions. The remaining four pages
should include the methodology, contributions to policy, work plan, and dissemination plan.
Applicants must present a clear and well thought out methodology and the analysis to be done. The
brief dissemination plan should include the intended audience and relevant journals where the research
findings might be submitted for publication and professional meetings where the findings might be
presented (7 pages maximum).
2. The conceptual model(s) that outline the framework or design of the study (2 pages maximum).
3. Contribution to the field to briefly describe the potential contributions this research will make to the
field of youth engagement in agribusiness and rural economic activities in Africa (200 words
4. Reference list. A list of all references included in the text or in the models. Use complete citations,
including titles and all authors. (No page limit)
5. Budget. There is no specific template for the budget. It may be a simple 2-column format or a more
6. Please save and send your documents in this format: LastName_FirstInitial_Document.pdf (example:
To apply for the Research Fellowship, applicants must submit the following:
• Completed application form (download application form here).
• Copy of the passport or other statement of citizenship.
• Curriculum Vitae (CV), which includes work history and education. CVs should be no longer than two
• Proof of registration at an accredited university for MSc and PhD programs (for students).
• Proof of employment at a research institute or university in Africa (for young academics and professionals).
Submission of Applications
Applications must be submitted electronically in English or French, by email to IITA-TrainingUnit@cgiar.org.
Application documents must be submitted as PDF files. The deadline for submission is 23:59 WAT, 15 March
2019. Applicants are encouraged to submit applications in advance of the deadline.
Contact IITA-TrainingUnit@cgiar.org if you have questions regarding the application or submission process.
All applications will be acknowledged, but only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Visit webpage for more information here