Deadline : 15 March, 2019
The WARC Travel Grant supports West African post graduate scholars and researchers carrying out research on the African continent. Studies in all disciplines are welcome. This grant covers travel taking place between July 1st 30, 2019 through December 31st, 2019.
The WARC Travel Grant promotes intra-African cooperation and exchange among researchers and institutions by providing support to African scholars and graduate students for research visits to other institutions on the continent. The WARC Travel Grant provides travel costs up to $1,500 and a stipend of $1,500. This competition is open only to West African nationals, with preference given to those affiliated with West African colleges, universities, or research institutions. Travel grant funds may be used to:
1) attend and present papers at academic conferences relevant to the applicant’s field of research;
2) visit libraries or archives that contain resources necessary to the applicant’s current academic work;
3) engage in collaborative work with colleagues at another institution;
4) travel to a research site.
Successful candidates must agree to make public presentations on their research to
1) their academic institution, and
2) their local communities. Moreover, successful candidates will submit to the WARC Library in Dakar one copy of their dissertation/thesis, articles, and other publications arising from the research funded through this grant.
All applications must be submitted online. Complete applications will include uploaded word, pdf, or jpgs of all of the documents listed below; however, PDFs are the preferred format for all attached documents. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
A brief (50-80 word) abstract of the activity to be funded, beginning with a clear statement of purpose
A description (6 double-spaced pages maximum) of the applicant’s research and how the proposed travel is relevant to this work. This should be presented in language understandable to non-specialist readers
A proposed budget
A curriculum vitae with research and teaching record when relevant
If attending a conference, an abstract of the paper to be read and a letter of acceptance to the conference
If visiting another institution, an invitation from host institution
If travel is to consult archives or other materials, a description of the collections to be consulted and their significance to the applicant’s research
For graduate students, a letter of recommendation by the professor overseeing their research
Proof of citizenship in the form of a photocopy of the applicant’s passport (please note: this competition is open only to West African nationals).
Application deadline is 15 March, 2019
For more information and to apply for funding, click here.