Deadline : 15 January, 2019
Mission of the Programme
Hungary provides high quality education in the heart of Europe. Today, there is a growing demand of international students to study in Hungary. Besides the quality of education and degrees recognised throughout Europe and beyond, students are attracted by the affordable living costs with an extremely favourable cost-to-value ratio, a safe and friendly living environment with convenient public transportation, the central location of the country in Europe and the unspoiled natural beauties combined with a 2000 year-old, rich Hungarian history and several UNESCO World Heritage Sites. Hungary is also within the top countries with the highest number of scientific Nobel Prize Winners per capita, and a numerous scientific inventions from Vitamin C to Rubik’s cube and so on.
The Stipendium Hungaricum Scholarship Programme was launched in 2013 by the Hungarian Government. The main goal of the programme regarding the education policy is to support the internationalisation of the Hungarian higher education and its constant development, to strengthen the international relations of the Hungarian academic and research community, to enhance the cultural diversity of the higher education institutions and to promote the good reputation and competitiveness of the Hungarian higher education throughout the world. The programme also aims to establish and encourage the personal and professional attachment of foreign graduated students to Hungary and contribute to the promotion of the Hungarian culture and language abroad.
The core mission of the programme is to increase the number of foreign students in Hungary and to encourage Hungarian higher education institutions to attract top foreign students. The programme is based on bilateral educational cooperation agreements signed between the Ministries responsible for education in the sending countries/territories and Hungary or between institutions. Currently nearly 70 Sending Partners are engaged in the programme throughout 5 different continents and the geographical scope of the programme is spreading each year.
Thousands of students from all around the world apply for higher educational studies in Hungary each year. The number of Stipendium Hungaricum applicants is continuously increasing as well as
the number of available scholarship places. In the 2018/2019 round of applications, more than 4100 scholarships were awarded. In the academic year 2019/2020 more than 5000 students can begin their studies in Hungary in the framework of the Stipendium Hungaricum Programme.
The Programme is managed by Tempus Public Foundation.
Provisions Covered by the Scholarship
– exemption from the payment of tuition fee
– non-degree, bachelor, master and one-tier master level: monthly amount of HUF 40 460 (cca EUR 130) contribution to the living expenses in Hungary, for 12 months a year, until the completion of studies
– doctoral level: according to the current Hungarian legislation, the monthly amount of scholarship is HUF 140 000 (cca EUR 450) for the first phase of education (4 semesters) and HUF 180 000 (cca EUR 580) for the second phase (4 semesters) – for 12 months a year, until completion of studies.
– free dormitory place or a contribution of HUF 40 000/month to accommodation costs for the whole duration of the scholarship period
– Please note that if the student does not live in the dormitory, then the HUF 40 000/month is a contribution to that rental costs, and in bigger cities – especially in the capital city – this contribution would not cover the full amount of rental costs.
– health care services according to the relevant Hungarian legislation (Act No. 80 of 1997, national health insurance card) and supplementary medical insurance for up to HUF 65 000 (cca EUR 205) a year/person
Application deadline is 15 January, 2019
For more information and to apply, click here.