Deadline: 15 April, 2019
A two-week residential summer school tackling the vital issues that shape politics in the modern world with a regional focus.
- Providing in depth analysis of key countries in regions outside of Western Europe and North America – Africa, China, Latin America, the Middle East and North Africa, and Russia and the Former Soviet Union.
- Including a daily lecture programme given by world-renowned academics.
- Giving the opportunity to study at St Antony’s College, Oxford University’s only college to focus exclusively on international affairs.
The academic programme consists of
- small seminar groups with a specialist tutor, which enable participants to study their subject in meaningful detail;
- a daily lecture programme given by world-renowned academics and best-selling authors
- lively daily discussion groups led by current Oxford University doctoral students.
Applicants choose one course from:
- African Politics and Society
- Global Democratisation in Latin America
- The New International Relations of the Middle East and North Africa
- The Politics of the Chinese Party-State
- Power, Resources and Political Identity in Russia and the Former Soviet Union.
St Antony’s College will provide one scholarship of £1,200 towards the programme fees. Candidates for the scholarship must submit a 200-word personal statement explaining how attending this course will benefit them, together with their complete application, by 1 February 2019.
All applications which include a request for a scholarship will be reviewed together shortly after 1 February 2019, and candidates will then be notified whether their applications for (a) a place on the summer school and (b) a scholarship have been successful.
- Residential: Standard (shared bathroom facilities) – £2,340
Fees include tuition (1 seminar, the daily lecture programme and discussion groups); access to IT facilities and libraries; accommodation in a standard single room with shared bathroom facilities for the nights of Sunday 4 August to Friday 16 August 2019 inclusive; meals in hall from dinner on Sunday 4 August to breakfast on Saturday 17 August 2019 (except lunch on Saturday and Sunday).
- Residential: En suite (private bathroom facilities) – £2,760
Fees include tuition (1 seminar, the daily lecture programme and discussion groups); access to IT facilities and libraries; accommodation in a single en suite room with private shower and toilet for the nights of Sunday 4 August to Friday 16 August 2019 inclusive; meals in hall from dinner on Sunday 4 August to breakfast on Saturday 17 August 2019 (except lunch on Saturday and Sunday).
Invoicing and payment
Successful applicants who accept their offer of a place on the summer school will be invoiced for the appropriate programme fee once they have been formally enrolled on the programme.
Invoices will be emailed to students together with full instructions for payment. Fees may be paid online with a credit or debit card, or by bank transfer.
Students are required to pay the full fee within 30 days of the date on which their invoice was issued. Late applicants (see “Apply for this course”, below) are required to pay the full fee within 7 days of their invoice date.
Applications will be reviewed on a first come, first served or rolling basis until 15 April 2019.
There is a limited number of places available on every seminar, and in assigning successful applicants to classes the Programme Director will pay particular attention to applicants’ personal statements.
Subject to the availability of places, late applications may be considered until 15 May 2019.
For more information and to apply, click here.