Deadline-December 7, 2018
The ASC Leiden hosts visiting research fellows in the framework of the Leiden African Studies Assembly (Leiden ASA), a network for cooperation between Leiden based Africanists. Visiting research fellows use their time in Leiden for data analysis and/or writing, often on a joint project with one or more ASCL staff members and with Africanists at other institutes or faculties of Leiden University. A visiting research fellowship is for a maximum of 90 days. Apart from the regular visiting research fellowship programme, the ASCL also offers a joint fellowship programme with the IIAS (International Institute for Asian Studies).
On occasion, the ASCL also hosts self financed visitors (PhD students or visiting academics).
In order to be eligible for a LeidenASA 90-day Visiting Research Fellowship, the applicant has to fulfil all of the following criteria.
He or she must:
- Hold a PhD degree, by the time of applying;
- Have conducted research, as part of the PhD and/or in later projects; with a focus on Africa;
- Be actively pursuing an academic/research career;
- Have published books, book chapters and/or journal articles in recent years that meet international standards;
- Propose a research project for the fellowship that is likely to contribute to interfaculty collaboration at Leiden University; as shown in statements of collaboration (enclosed with the application) from one African Studies Centre Leiden scholar and (at least) one other Leiden University scholar;
- In accordance with visa regulations, be ready to return to the country of which he/she is a citizen and/or a current resident upon completion of the fellowship.
In the assessment of applications that meet these requirements,
- Preference will be given to applicants based in Africa. ‘Africa’ here refers to the member states of the African Union. ‘Based in’ Africa is understood to mean having lived in Africa during at least two of the last four years; and
- Emphasis will be placed on the quality, intended outputs and feasibility of the research project proposed for the fellowship.
Download application form here
There is currently an open call for a three month LeidenASA visiting fellowship for the period April-May-June 2019.
A research fellowship includes:
- A return ticket (economy class).
- A daily stipend to cover living expenses.
- Accommodation in Leiden: a fellow is provided with his/her own bed/sitting room (suitable for one person only). Kitchen and bathroom are to be shared with a maximum of two other fellows (male/female). If the offered accommodation is unaccaptable for the fellow he/she is requested to look for alternative accommodation him/herself. Alternative accommodation will not be paid for by the fellowship.
- A medical/liability insurance (please note that this insurance does not cover the cost of treatment of a pre-existing medical condition).
- The use of (shared) office facilities and of library facilities.
Research fellows are divided over three periods of three months each: January-February-March, April-May-June, September-October-November.
Self financed visitors can request to spend some time at the ASCL for research purposes. They will be offered a desk and computer (depending on availability) and they can make full use of the ASCL’s library facilities. The ASCL cannot offer these guests assistance in travel arrangements, visa application and/or finding accommodation.
For more information on the regular fellowship programme or on self financed visits, contact Maaike Westra: LeidenASA@asc.leidenuniv.nl
Visit webpage for more information here