Deadline for application: 17 September 2018, 17:00 CET.
PhD (three years), based at the University of Helsinki, Finland: position to study human-wildlife conflict in eastern and western parts of the country involving wolves as part of larger CON-VIVA project.
Who are they looking for.
The discipline of Development Studies, Faculty of Social Sciences at the University of Helsinki seeks a candidate for a PhD position on the CON-VIVA project. Candidates with a background in relevant social sciences (development studies, anthropology, geography, sociology, political science, etc.) will be considered, especially candidates with expertise in the broad areas of environment and development, political ecology, natural resources management and conservation. Your responsibilities include gathering empirical data and performing research on the prospects and possibilities of convivial conservation related to wolves in Finland, five percent teaching at undergraduate and graduate levels, and participation in project-related meetings and policy-dialogue activities.
As a PhD on the CON-VIVA project you have:
- A Master degree in development studies, anthropology, sociology, geography, political science or a related field;
- Ability to publish in high-quality academic journals and with top academic publishers;
- Ability to work in interdisciplinary and international research teams;
- Excellent communication and writing skills;
- Enthusiasm for teaching and working with students;
- Familiarity with the Finnish case-study contexts and knowledge of Finnish language is an advantage.
You will be given the opportunity to develop your own research line. We offer a temporary contract of a salaried PhD candidate for three years (36 months), with the possibility to apply for extension. The position includes certain UH Pension scheme, medical services and training and career development.
How to apply
Applicants should submit a CV, including a list of publications, and a 1-page letter explaining your interest in the position. Reference letters might be requested for shortlisted candidates. Please, send your application to firstname.lastname@example.org as one pdf- or word-document.