Deadline: 18 August, 2018
The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) invites applications for the internationally recruited position of Postdoctoral Fellow, Agronomy.
The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) is a not for profit institution that generates
agricultural innovations to meet Africa’s most pressing challenges of hunger, malnutrition, poverty,
and natural resource degradation. Working with various partners across sub-Saharan Africa, we
improve livelihoods, enhance food and nutrition security, increase employment, and preserve natural
resource integrity. IITA is a member of CGIAR, a global agriculture research partnership for a food
The staff will be a member of the Africa RISING (Africa Research in Sustainable Intensification for
the Next Generation) project team.
The Postdoctoral Fellow will undertake the following.
Coordinate, design and implement in the three northern regions of Ghana and in collaboration with
partners agronomic research in smallholder integrated crop-livestock systems as defined during the
annual Africa RISING work planning meetings.
In collaboration with the M&E/Data management officer, compile required data, carry out data
analysis and upload data sets on the data repository Dataverse as per the Africa RISING Data
Prepare technical materials on sustainable intensification technologies for extension services and
Contribute to capacity building of research associates, research supervisors and farmers
within the three northern regions of Ghana
Organize regular team meetings and providing summarized feedback minutes to the concerned
parties, workshops and monitoring tours in the three northern regions of Ghana
Support the identification of development actors as potential partners for dissemination of
technologies in the three northern regions of Ghana.
Publish research results in peer reviewed high impact journals and present at conferences
Supervise research supervisors and technicians in the three northern regions of Ghana
Engage and supervise interns, under-graduate and graduate students.
Assist in preparing progress reports and technical presentations for national and international
Contribute to resource mobilization
Any other task as assigned by the supervisors
The candidate should have a completed PhD in Tropical Agronomy from a recognized University.
• Strong knowledge and experience with biophysical including agronomic and environmental data as
well as economic evaluation of agricultural technologies.
• Experience with project activity monitoring and conducting socio-economic surveys in rural Africa
and more specifically in Northern Ghana;
• Strong analytical skills in multivariate data desired and how these can be applied broadly towards
informed guidance in improving smallholder agricultural productivity and livelihood;
• Ability to innovatively transform field-derived data into communication products will be highly
• Knowledge of MS Office complementary econometric techniques and software (e.g. STATA);
• Demonstrated ability to write and publish journal articles;
• Ability to work independently with little supervision in a multi-disciplinary, multi-
institutional and multi-cultural environment will be required.
• Good team worker and initiative towards results-driven outputs;
• Ability to integrate in and adapt to an existing complex project set-up
• Excellent spoken and written English.
• Experience and ability to communicate in one of the local languages of Northern Ghana
Duty station:Tamale, Ghana
The contract will be for an initial period of two years. IITA offers an internationally competitive remuneration package paid in US Dollars.
Applications must include covering letter which should address how the candidate’s background/experience relates to the specific duties of the position applied for, curriculum vitae,
names and addresses of three professional referees (which must include either the Head of the applicant’s current or previous organization or applicant’s direct Supervisor/Superior at his/her present or former place of work). The application should be addressed to the Head of Human
Deadline for application is 18 August, 2018.
For more information and to apply, click here.
Please follow and like us: